Re: Legalise & Plain English -- Bylaws and investments
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 11:04:01 -0800 (PST)
On Mar 7, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Carol Agate <carolagate [at] me.com> wrote:

> I'm afraid that my changes to plain English will mean that without the
> security of boilerplate the lawyer will need a lot more time to review the
> document. Yet I hate to be stuck with things that take so much effort to
> interpret.

I wonder if there are links somewhere to plain English advocates who could
direct you somewhere. In Michigan new lawyers take an oath to use Plain
English, though the oath itself has been criticized for not being written in
the best of Plain English.

My interest in this is that I think the Bylaws should be real documents that
people understand before they move in and agree to abide by. If they are
written in gibberish, how can anyone take governance seriously?

"Governance" means to steer. The bylaws are thus a steering mechanism and
without them the boat doesn't get where it wants to do.

Thanks for digging this out of the Archives and bringing to everyone's
consciousness again.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire
to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White