Re: Bylaws, the law, and Sociocracy
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 13:27:39 -0700 (PDT)
On Mar 10, 2014, at 3:48 PM, R Philip Dowds <rpdowds [at] comcast.net> wrote:

> The big difference, I think, is that in regular folks' condos, the
> association rarely meets, while in our coho and others, the association meets
> in a monthly plenary.  Some Sociocrats think this is a waste of valuable
> member time.

Pioneer Valley has been using sociocracy for a year. They have circles and a
traditional sociocratic structure but they also have a "full circle" meeting
once a month for discussion of issues. It isn't a decision-making body. Circles
can get feedback and ideas. Members can express the needs and concerns in an
atmosphere that is non-political.

They also have a place where circles post drafts of policies they are
considering and people can comment. One community has used this for years --
they have clipboards hung on a wall. Those who are interested in the policy can
read the current draft, read comments, and make their own.

A Wordpress website would be perfect for this. A draft is posted and the
community alerted. People put comments on the post, just like making comments
on other websites. Everyone can read them and post their own.

When a new draft is posted, comments on the old one are closed. New comments
are invited.

Using dynamic governance the circle makes the decision but has full input and
members don't feel ignored or that secretive deliberations are going on.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Elegance in Organization