Fwd: Questions about CoHousing Farm Ownership/Management
From: Mary Vallier-Kaplan (marycvkgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:55:35 -0700 (PDT)
Here at Nubanusit Neighborhood & Farm our farm is located on its own
(legally declared) condominium unit. This land (also known as Limited
Common Area) is still owned by the original developers (resident founding
family); they are investigating how to transfer the control to the
neighborhood or to some other legal structure. Currently the farmer, who
lives here renting a subsidized unit, has a Land Use Agreement (like a
lease) with the neighborhood and the land owner. The farmer runs a private
CSA of which almost all neighbors are a participants but also others in the
greater community. Our "Farm Team" oversees these agreements (there is also
a chicken club that uses space, a horse owner that pastures horses and has
a barn and a non-resident that pastures beef cattle) on behalf of the
cohousing neighborhood.  The cohousing community also underwrites and
manages the infrastructure for the Farm through our dues (equipment,
buildings, soil improvements).

It would be great if you could share your perspective on the questions
below.   We'll share ours with you too if you are so interested!   If it is
easier for you to connect directly either by phone or email, please let us
know.  Maybe this dialogue will evolve into a cohousing farm affinity group!

Thank you for your help.  I know answering such questions takes time and we
appreciate it.

Mary Vallier-Kaplan
Nubanusit Neighborhood & Farm
Peterborough NH

What are your particulars of farm control?

If you have a farm at your community or know of others, we would like to
know how it relates to the community in terms of legal structure.

Who owns the land? (for instance LLC, nonprofit, individual etc)
Who farms the land?
Does a portion of your annual cohousing budget support the farm (how much)?
Who oversees the users of the farm?
Do the users/farmers live in your cohousing community?
Does the cohousing community generate any income or other benefit (i.e.,
produce) from the farmland?
Has the structure evolved through time or are you headed in a different
direction with the farm?
Any other comments?