Re: Petition for FHA & Other FHA refusals
From: Patricia Lautner (lautnerpjpcohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 09:01:35 -0700 (PDT)
I signed the petition because we need to stop blatant discrimination
against the word 'cohousing'.  A few years back, several members here at JP
Cohousing (Boston) refinanced.  Eventually we learned that Chase no longer
refinances "cohousing" units.  No further explanation was provided despite
several attempts.  I think FHA - as a federal agency, should be forced to
be more transparent in how they discriminate.

That said, I'm concerned about the reverse mortgage program (the subject of
the petition).  With a reverse mortgage, what would happen to the unit at
the end of the member's life when the bank owns the home?  Would the bank
give the community the right of first refusal?  I want FHA programs to be
available to coho members, but I'm not sure our community would be ok with
the reverse mortgage program.

Patti
JP Cohousing
www.communitasdevelopment.com