Re: Petition for FHA & Other FHA refusals
From: David L. Mandel (dlmandelpacbell.net)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 17:40:24 -0700 (PDT)
Patricia, your note reflects a common misconception about reverse mortgages.
The lender comes to own the house after the borrower's death only if the heirs
fail to take responsibility for it by paying off the loan and either moving in
or selling the unit. But that's no different from what happens when a co-houser
with a regular mortgage dies. In fact it's less likely to happen because with a
reverse mortgage, the most heirs owe is 95 percent of the current value of the
property, while in the case of an underwater regular mortgage, heirs would be
more likely to simply walk away, leaving the lender to deal with it.

There are some other special provisions to be aware of with reverse mortgages:
For instance they come due if the borrower moves out permanently, including for
health reasons. But if s/he's a conscientious cohouser, the community should be
able to work with her/him to make sure the unit is sold to an appropriate buyer.

David