Re: Reverse Mortgages [Petition for FHA & Other FHA refusals]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:25:58 -0700 (PDT)
On Mar 30, 2014, at 12:12 PM, R Philip Dowds <rpdowds [at] comcast.net> wrote:

> /as a sidebar … I am aware of situations where cohos, or select members
> thereof, contribute money to a household in exchange for a mortgage on the
> unit; the money returns to the lender upon the sale of the unit.  This is a
> certainly a way that cohos can become, in effect, their own bankers, and
> escape the strictures of FHA-insured lending.  For reverse mortgages, maybe
> pestering the FHA is more trouble than it’s worth.

Our bylaws allow for this. It is worded as if it covers only condo fees but I
think we could extend it.

We also have one member who has loaned money with a written agreement.

I also think that one household made special mortgage arrangements so another
household could buy the much larger unit for their growing family. This was a
private negotiation (if it occurred at all.)

Several of our members also counseled young partners who were renting on how to
arrange the purchase of a unit.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities." Walt Kelly