Re: Shared community internet service
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 08:24:08 -0700 (PDT)
At Cornerstone, the big obstacle is neither technological complexity nor vendor
greed.  It is an unwillingness to be part of communal funding of services and
equipment needed and used differentially.  In many cases, we seem more
comfortable with privatization and/or pay-per-use.  While we would all benefit
-- even if partially or selectively -- from a shared vehicle, a shared ISP,
shared periodical subscriptions, a communal TV or digital projector, and so on,
we never quite get over the hump of committing communal  money.  Our solution
is for households to support the community, rather than the community to
support the households.

Philip Dowds