Re: Shared community internet service
From: R.P. Aditya (adityagrot.org)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 08:31:51 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 10:42:50AM -0400, Diana Carroll wrote:
> That's awesome.
>
> Does someone from your community manage the IT involved here -- programming
> the routers and whatnot?

Yes, we have a group of folks who are interested, willing and
able. Given the success of providing shared Internet service at a low
monetary cost, it is an effort supported by the community.

The aspect we struggle most with is "desktop" or "personal
computer/device" support -- anything beyond the most mundane of personal
device problems (ie. "my email stopped working" or "my ipad won't turn
on") which require more than an hour or so of effort becomes hard to
support internally. Unfortunately, if someone doesn't step up to help,
to the non-techies it just feels like they aren't being supported or
that the techies are lazy or not willing to help their neighbors...

Sort of like the party situation of, "oh, you're a doctor? what should I
do about this pain in my chest?"...

--
Adi
Great Oak Cohousing