Re: Meal Tracking Programs
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 12:22:56 -0700 (PDT)
On Apr 3, 2014, at 2:47 PM, Ann Zabaldo <zabaldo [at] earthlink.net> wrote:

> A little correction here.   The cohort of the rotation is the cohort.  You
> can bring guests to meals and pay $4.  If you’re not in the rotation you
> could ask to be included in a meal and pay $4.  But that is very rare.
> Because if you did that a lot you’d be expected to join the rotation and cook
> and clean.

Obviously, Ann and I live in different communities--just as all children live
in different families. I sign up at least once in a rotation and bring my
granddaughters. The number of people at that particular meal almost doubles. I
see people asking at the last minute to join all the time. They come home from
work and smell the food and ask if there is enough food. (Not all meals are
very popular.)

>> Okay, I thought from what Ann said that you were either signed up for the
>> whole rotation or you weren't, and that money didn't change hands because
>> everyone in the rotation cooked one time and paid for their meals that way.
>
> Yes.  This is correct.  People join the rotation when their schedules allow
> and they participate in the whole rotation.

As above, not everyone signs up for all rotations. If someone wanted to sign up
for all meals, then someone might complain. It would depend on the person and
their circumstances. Perhaps they would substitute for someone every few weeks.
I'm not sure anyone would have the courage to come to all the meals and never
do anything unless there were very special circumstances.

Before we moved in there was the suggestion that everyone be required to cook.
One person said "I'm joining cohousing, not a dining club." No one contradicted
him so I don't even think it was raised again.

> There’s rarely an individual sign up.  When it occurs w/ the cook’s
> permission the person pays $4 directly to the cook team. Spreadsheets not
> necessary for this rare event.

Sign ups are "forms" that I would use a spreadsheet program to make.

The simplest systems are when a group of 3-4 decide to cook a meal and people
sign up or just arrive. Some cooks don't care. They just cook a lot of food.
Adults normally pay $4 and kids pay $2. But those don't happen regularly like
the rotation does, though they are happening much more often because we found
that a meal connected to a theme attracts a lot of people and makes it a party.

When I did pizza on Fridays there was no sign up -- $3 a slice.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC