Re: Helping Owners Sell
From: Susan Hyne (susanhynegmail.com)
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 20:04:39 -0700 (PDT)
We recently had a unit resale at CoHo Ecovillage.

In addition to the steps listed in other posts, we did a few more things.

Our Neighbors Team stayed in touch with the unit owner on a regular basis
and with her realtor.  The realtor was given an overview of our membership
process and was aware that the community (and the seller) wanted to attract
cohousing-friendly buyers.  There was an agreement that prospective buyers
would be given a tour and hosted at a meal by the Neighbors Team.

Her realtor scheduled the unit on a "realtor's tour" when it was first
listed so that realtors could view the property and learn about the
community.  A Neighbors Team member greeted the realtors, showed a 5-minute
slide show about the community, and answered questions.

On an ongoing basis, we post our membership documents/policies, and an
explanation of the process on our website.  Hopefully, this alerts
prospects that it takes more than "a pulse and a check" to buy a cohousing
unit.

We emphasize the importance of both parts of the process:  "A prospective
member seriously considering the purchase of a unit is pursuing two tracks
at the same time with a shared deadline. One track involves the legal and
financial details in negotiating a purchase. The other track involves the
steps in becoming a member of the community."

As it turned out, the buyer had visited CoHo before the unit was on the
market....
--
Susan Hyne