Re: What SHOULD I be worried about?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:11:34 -0700 (PDT)
http://cohousing.org/node/2300

I amplified my response to Philip's message on the Cohousing.org site if anyone wants to read it.

Philip,I hope it is okay that I quoted this message. If not, I'll make it anonymous. Since Cohousing-L messages are public, I thought you wouldn't mind.

Sharon.

R Philip Dowds wrote:
Plan on delay.  Plan on surprising cost increases.  Plan on flogging your way past
disappointments.  Your group may have to deal one or more of …

internal disagreements about location, design, pricing, membership, whatever;
complicated local or even State permitting, waivers and variances;
members that come and go, and come again;
litigation by your neighbors;
nervous bankers;
bad cost estimates;
incompetent or opportunistic professional services;
and other problems …

All of which can morph your three-year, $9mln project into a five-year, $12mln
project.  You can, of course, succeed.  Many groups do.  Just be realistic,
flexible, and go get expert input when you need it.  And armor up.

R Philip Dowds AIA
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA

On Jun 16, 2014, at 6:24 PM, Michelle Burce<michelleburce [at] gmail.com>