Re: What SHOULD I be worried about?
From: Holly Wilder (hollywilder23gmail.com)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 13:54:56 -0700 (PDT)
I'll chime in here on reserves. So important!  I am a property manager and have
managed a couple of HOA's, and also as a broker I show/sell homes in HOA's and
I can tell you this is an issue all over the place.  Here at Nyland, I think we
have actually gone a little too far in the other direction and have, in my
opinion, too much in reserves - which sounds ok, except that comes from our
dues, which are not so very low.

Cohousings usually do better in this, it seems to me, than other HOA's.
Owners and new communities forming seem to think more long-term than a typical
developer just out to make a buck.  Developers won't be around 15 years later
when the poo-poo collides with the air circulation device, but many coho owners
likely will, and this tends to lead forming communities to put more resources
here from the start.

Set it up well from the start and you will have no regrets.

Also, we do a reserves study every few years to make sure we are on track.  The
companies who perform these studies tend to be very conservative, so that keeps
us saving as well.  Again, sometimes too much, but at least I never worry that
a special assessment is likely.

- Holly
Nyland Cohousing in CO

Holly Wilder