Reserve Funds Investing
From: Norman Gauss (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 12:46:12 -0700 (PDT)
We, at Oak Creek Commons in Paso Robles, CA have decided that preserving the
capital of our Reserve Fund is paramount.  We have had our money in FDIC
insured accounts for almost ten years but have noticed a decline in value
due to inflation.  Returns we are getting in bank accounts is not even
keeping up with inflation.  Although FDIC accounts have been the traditional
way of investing our money, it is not enough for capital preservation.

So, we have begun working with a retirement financial advisor to suggest
ways we can get a better return.  We have asked her to set up a portfolio
concentrating on bond mutual funds, since they have a long history of low
volatility and are preferred by many retirement funds.

Is there detectable evidence among cohousing communities of investing in
riskier accounts than FDIC insured bank accounts?  One of our members is
worried that we are taking too much risk, and claims that cohousing
communities universally put all their money in banks.  Is this so?

Norman Gauss
Oak Creek Commons Cohousing
Paso Robles, CA