Re: Renovations guidelines
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 09:05:10 -0700 (PDT)
Sharon’s response is pretty thorough, and I feel no need to embellish it with
further detail.  But I will venture out on another tack …

Cohousing communities tend to feature a can-do, do-it-yourself attitude — and
since they are mostly forged in the very hot, sometimes very painful fire of
self-development, this attitude has, in large measure, been earned and
validated.  And yet I think even well-run communities are too quick to
pooh-pooh paying for professional services.  I never cease to be amazed at the
number of householders who would never even try to be their own dentists, but
who expect to be their own architects.

Early in my architectural career, I did a lot of residential remodeling.  My
sales pitch to potential customers was this:  If you have $100K* to spend on
remodeling your house, you will be MUCH happier if you spend $10K on an
architect and $90K on a builder, than if you skip the design and spend $100K on
the builder alone.  Some homeowners believed me and hired me, and on the whole,
things usually went well.  Some did not believe me and did not hire me.  I do
not know what happened to them, but I am not optimistic.

R Philip Dowds AIA
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA

* This was in the ‘80s, when $100K was still serious money.