Re: URL's in email [was: Marketing efforts that worked well?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 13:42:42 -0700 (PDT)
On Jun 30, 2014, at 12:06 PM, Fred H Olson <fholson [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

> Spread your URL around as much as possible, make it as
> easy as possible to access. (And of course put as much useful info on
> it as possible.)  Some people will check out your website which requires
> zero commitment and little effort and based on that decide to
> make more of a commitment and little more effort by calling, coming to
> an event or whatever.

However much people say don't judge a book by it's cover, the cover is the
first clue to whether this might be a good book. People want to see a nicely
designed website. It doesn't have to be fancy with videos of dancing mice.
Just clean simple design with as much information as you have about your plans,
logically organized, and findable from the front page. No cute names for
things. Use land, buildings, playground, meals instead of earth, havens,
freedom, and sustenance.

And put your full address. Even the zip code because zip codes are the easiest
way to find you on a map.

Directions on how to find you. Some people will be familiar with your area but
not your address. Give them a clue where you are.

The stronger the metal image of who and where you are, the more likely people
will be to remember you.

The  minute you have any ideas about a name, put up a website. Use the name of
your town. Then you can forward that address to your cohousing name. People
will transfer the association because your materials can then say [Cohousing
Name] in [Town & State]
[town]. Domain names are cheap. One domain name costs 00004% of one sale. You
can afford two.

If you need a website check out the one's I've designed for cohousing

http://www.cohousingblog.com
http://www.takomavillage.org

And my site on design -- not totally developed because I decided to take it
down. It was too much for me to be asked to design websites I knew visitors
would hate. The companies kept insisting on bad practices. The site does have a
list of other sites I've designed.

http://www.triplethreatwebsites.com

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"Design is the first sign of human intention." William McDonough