Re: URL's in email
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:12:27 -0700 (PDT)
On Jul 22, 2014, at 11:56 AM, Jerry McIntire <jerry.mcintire [at] gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sharon, thanks for the advice. I like the Takoma Village website. What is
> the theme? Did you use a WP theme, or create your own? We've run into
> limitations, not being able to change the font sizes in the sidebar.

I use Wordpress exclusively. It's so easy to use and modify with so many add
ons I find it a no-brainer. A person here has learned almost everything she
needs to know in 2 one hour sessions with me. She picks it up fast but the
basic stuff is very easy. She's entering content in pages and widgets and
moving things around in menus.

The more recent Wordpress themes have a plug-in called Styles. It's a third
party add on that allows you to customize many many things. Colors, fonts and
font sizes, etc. I use 2014 and 2012 mostly.

I also use custom CSS (in Jetpack) that allows many more changes. Styles
doesn't have a "bold" option, for example. I should do child themes but with
custom CSS my styles don't get wiped out when the theme is upgraded.

The most I can do with PHP is change the messages that appear in various
places. More than that and I crash the site. But changing the PHP is rarely
necessary. Plug-ins do almost anything.

What I would really love is a group working on an add-on shopping cart program
to build a meal manager program. And a calendar program.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org

  • Re: URL's in email Jerry McIntire, July 22 2014
    • Re: URL's in email Sharon Villines, July 22 2014