Re: renter's role in decision making
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 03:06:14 -0700 (PDT)
Actually, it’s more complicated than that.  Federal law prohibits persons not
US citizens from voting in federal elections.  But what about State and local
elections?  Well, that’s up to the States and localities.  Historically, many
States and cities have had periods where they allowed non-US citizens to vote
in State and local elections, and the while the practice has died out for now,
it is not illegal by *federal* law.  Also variable is the residency requirement
itself.  US law allows for absentee ballots, but Israeli law does not; voting
in an Israeli election requires both citizenship and standing on Israeli ground.

My point is not that I’m a legal expert about voting law.  My point is that
there are lots of different ways to franchise voters and define citizens.  My
condo association is legally free to extend (nearly) full franchise to tenants
in my coho community, if that’s what we want.  And that I’m not able to see or
understand good reasons for not doing so.

RPD