Re: renter's role in decision making
From: Patricia Lautner (lautnerpjpcohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 06:02:30 -0700 (PDT)
There are different kinds of 'renters' we've found at JPCohousing in
Boston.

1) Long term renters - people who rent an entire unit with the owners being
elsewhere.  Our HOA documents say that an owner may only rent for 1 year
before asking the community for an extension.  It always remains that the
owner is responsible for all work and participation requirements.  It's up
to the owner to pass that responsibility over to their renters perhaps via
the lease but if there is ever a problem, the community goes to the owner.
Long term renters are invited to participate in the General Meetings but
may not vote.  We've only had 1 unit with a long term renter and he was
wonderful - participated fully and became friends with everyone.  He only
stayed 1 year.

2) Roommates - roommates have no community responsibilities to participate
in any way.  However, over the years we've had some roommates who
participated fully - and - one has lived here for years and hardly anybody
knows her name.  Flexibility on roommates is part of our affordability
program.  Some low income members really must rent out their second bedroom
to make ends meet.  The community decided it's not right to force the low
income owner to risk loss of income if they can't find someone who fits in
completely with cohousing.

Patti Lautner
www.communitasdevelopment.com