Re: renter's role in decision making
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 07:38:13 -0700 (PDT)
Well:  At our place, each dwelling unit owes its assessment whether it’s
occupied by owners, or by tenants, or by nobody (it's vacant).  Somewhere,
however, there is an owner of record, and that owner of record is legally
responsible for paying the assessment; should that owner fail to pay up, we
(the association) can litigate, place a lien on the property, and so on.

In most cases, an absentee landlord is not running his/her unit as a charitable
enterprise.  S/he expects that the rent paid by the tenant will cover debt
service, taxes, assessments and so on.  In other words, the rent-paying tenant
is indeed paying for community costs and expenses, even if the cash flow for
that payment passes through the landlord.

But is this relevant?  If Ralph Renter lives among you for free, because the
absentee landlord is a nice rich guy who doesn’t need to collect any rents,
then he is appropriately excluded from your community?  But if Ralph's high
rent means he is paying his fair share plus the landlord’s profit, then he is a
welcome participant in community life and decisions?

RPD