Common meals - mandatory participation?
From: Pat Elliott (pdelliott43gmail.com)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 16:33:22 -0700 (PDT)
Hi everyone,

Until a recent community discussion about common meals, most of us had thought
our common meals program was working fairly well after almost two years of
living here. At that meeting, we learned, to the surprise of most of us, that
for members of two or three households participating in the program is painful,
if not traumatic, whether as members of cook teams or eating at common meals.
They would like common meal participation to be completely voluntary, which
means they won't participate at all, or at least that they receive a complete
exemption. And possibly others will decide to do the same. We had a community
agreement before moving in that called for mandatory participation on a cook
team once a month. While I sometimes have to nudge folks, generally all have
complied except when folks are gone, ill, or otherwise unable to participate.
We are a senior, retired community so there is lots of traveling, etc. Nudging
would be difficult, or at least useless, with a completely voluntary program, I
fear, leading to a breakdown or serious diminishment of the program. Many, if
not most (though clearly not all) of us, agree with Katie M. that common meals
are the heart of cohousing.

My question is whether other communities have a satisfactory "voluntary" common
meals program. More broadly, I would be very interested in receiving
descriptions or written agreements regarding other communities' common meals
program and descriptions of how your program is actually working, whether in
accordance with a community agreement or not. If you are sending a document,
you can send to me at either pdelliott43 [at] gmail.com or (easier to get
right) pat6 [at] me.com.

Thanks in advance for your comments, etc. I apologize if this is well-ploughed
territory for many of you.

Pat Elliott
Wolf Creek Lodge