Re: Subject: Common meals - mandatory participation?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 08:27:00 -0700 (PDT)
On Aug 1, 2014, at 1:23 PM, Susan Coberly <susandgeorge [at] gmail.com> wrote:

> on finding people don't want to participate in common meals, We here at La
> Querencia/ aka Fresno Cohousing [beginning move in Sept 2008] have had an
> increasingly rocky road with our common meals program. Sorry in advance for
> the opus...

Thank you for the wonderful opus. It is the "opus" quality necessary to explain
the whole issue that I think reveals the problem of common house meals. I think
the conflict between desire and implementation is the result of our desire for
both  family-style Leave It to Beaver meals and for cultural diversity.

We can't have it all -- homogenous diversity is an oxymoron. "Family" is a bad
model for a governing  a diverse community of people who did not grow up
together. Families are autocratic organizations. However benevolent the
patriarch or matriarch is, they establish expectations and requirements from
birth and keep things in line until death. Villages and churches, etc., do the
same thing.

Diversity brings conflicting expectations: Indoor/outdoor voices. Seasoning
preferences. Vegan, vegetarian. Fish but not beef. Beef but no pork. Buffet vs
at the table bowl passing ("family style"). Early or late. Casual or formal
with set tables and flowers and scheduled arrival.

There is no longer a common meal time. Nor a commonly accepted healthy diet.
Nor a diet that everyone can or will eat. Nor a common desire for what is easy
to cook for large crowds. And certainly not common expectations of children.

We all have our own perfectly fine personalized lives. My choice of food and
work and entertainment and household composition isn't a "style" that I change
with the season. It's something I have crafted carefully through 72 years of
study and experimentation. To change that because common meals are the center
of community is not something I would be interested in. When I've tried common
meals on a regular basis (not just in cohousing) I've discovered that I'm not
common. I want food to be cooked the way I like it. I eat with others in order
to have conversations without yelling.

Personally, while I think common meals are a wonderful idea and certainly
enjoyable and a good way to meet people, the complexities are unpleasant. As a
person who loves living alone (with lots of people outside the door), quiet
meals on my own schedule with my own menu are divine. I find occasional festive
meals lots of fun--cook outs, the squash fest challenge to use up the garden
harvest, Pesto Festo to use up the basil over abundance at the end of the
season, Dinner at Eight for adults, Pi Day, etc.

And living alone, meals are simple. Wash one plate, one fork, one glass.
Usually one pan. Or no pan at all. Or just throw out the paper towel that held
a piece of left over chicken. To exchange that for trying to move around 4-5
people in the kitchen, clanging plates and scraping chairs while the floor is
being swept, topped off with a hugely noisy steaming sanitizer, and getting
home after 8:00 is not inviting.

And then there is the issue of diets. I literally should not eat the common
meals except for salad. And salad only if I bring my own dressing. The base of
almost all the CH meals is sugar -- carbohydrates. I love beans and rice but
it's a death sentence to me with an inherited inability to tolerate
carbohydrates and to most older people, who become less and less able to
tolerate carbohydrates. And all the salad dressings in the CH have sugar as the
first ingredient.

I might eat carbs once or twice a week, but only when they are worth dying for.
I'm not ready to die for sugar in salad dressing. In half a really good
brownie, maybe. In a bowl of barley soup as the main meal? No.  4 oz of
flavored yogurt often has 3-4 teaspoons of sugar.

It would be interesting to be able to compare the diversity of a community with
the success of meal programs.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org

For those who don't understand the carb-lowfat problem, the following link goes
to an article in Nutrition on this subject:

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16701&catid=1&Itemid=17