Re: Subject: Common meals - aging and parenting
From: Liz Ryan Cole (lizryancoleme.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 06:24:55 -0700 (PDT)
This excellent discussion thread has touched on many topics.  I'd like to add
two more items for our consideration.

First, Pinnacle Cohousing (yes we are finally building in Lyme, NH, but we have
had nine years of running a hospitality business in the meantime to help us
develop systems and relationships) is intergenerational.  That means we'll have
older (and otherwise fragile) members who will need to be able to count on
meals at least once a day.

Second, based on some member's (this includes me) experiences in collective
houses when our own children were younger, we think the opportunity to have
"civilized" dinner conversation and time devoted to family (admittedly with a
larger family than is standard these days) helps both parents and children.

For this reason our model will be to offer one meal a day, with our monthly fee
to include the salary of a part time "kitchen steward" to deal with food and
kitchen management.  We also have a weekly work requirement (we expect it will
work out to about two hours per week), which can be met by cooking, cleaning
up, reading to or otherwise spending time with kids, darning socks, or doing
some of the many other tasks that are not included in our monthly fees for
cleaning common areas.  If a member chooses not to eat one or more meals,
that's fine, but the option is always there.  If all goes according to plan
(and when does that happen) we'll move in (stage one) in the spring of 2016 and
we'll report on how this model works out.  If anyone is following a practice
similar to this now, it would be great to hear from you.

liz

PS - don't forget to visit our cabin based hospitality business - Loch Lyme
Lodge - consider holding a wedding or family reunion or work related retreat
here too. :)

Liz Ryan Cole
lizryancole [at] me.com
Pinnacle Cohousing at Loch Lyme Lodge
Lyme, NH
Home 802.785.4124
Work 802.831.1240
Lodge 603-795-2141

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire
to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White