Re: Subject: Common meals - mandatory participation?
From: R.P. Aditya (adityagrot.org)
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 20:00:47 -0700 (PDT)
At Great Oak the work system is mandatory for all residents, but meals
dining is entirely voluntary.

This means that meals work (cooking and cleaning) is one of many
different types of community work folks can choose; if you don't like to
cook or do meal cleans, pick to do something instead, like weeding or
shovelling snow or committee work or one of the 60-80 odd different jobs
each season.

Interestingly, for many years, the two most popular jobs (GO has a
system to match workers with jobs they want using a quarterly survey)
have been assistant cooking and meal cleaning. Committee jobs are
amongst the least popular, though filling all weekday head cook slots
are a challenge some seasons.

Great Oak is 37 households, 4 meals a week.

I'd say that including meals work in our work system was possibly _the_
single most important thing GO has done to build community, and this
discussion on C-L certainly has reinforced that opinion for me!

--
Adi
Great Oak Cohousing