Re: renter's role in decision making
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 10:15:12 -0700 (PDT)
In a meeting that seeks to adopt a policy, approve a budget, and/or make a
decision by developing something that falls within everyone's tolerance range,
then there is a lot to be said for inclusivity.  That is, for as much
participation as possible, including that of owners (persons having their names
on the deeds), plus significant others, plus tenants, plus even ten-year-olds.
If you can invent the solution that is tolerable to everyone, then a good time
is had by all, and the entire community bonds better.

But what if not?  What if you can't invent something that is within everyone's
tolerance range?
     (1) Under the old "consensus" model, it's tough patooties, and you're
stuck with the status quo until the entire group comes up with something better.
     (2) In some of the newer "consent" models, there is some kind of an escape
hatch, such that a small minority cannot enforce the status quo against the
preference of most of its neighbors.  At Cornerstone, it's a 75% super-majority
vote -- but only by unit, not by individual.  And never until options for
finding the universally tolerated solution have been fully explored and
exhausted.

So, net effect:  When we all agree, it's nice to have tenants in the frame, and
part of that agreement.  When we can't agree, it's only owners doing the
voting.  This dodges the bullet of trying to say what kinds of topics are not
suited to tenant participation.

Philip Dowds