Re: Guest Rooms for Caregivers
From: Kay Wilson Fisk (kwilsonfiskcomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 21:30:30 -0700 (PDT)
There were three factors behind our decision not to build guest
rooms.

First, the building site was limited. In order to pencil out, we
needed to build 24 units, and in order to limit the building
sizes to 4-plexes, the space left for the common house (including
a playground) was only large enough for the basics. It would have
required a second story to make space for guest units.

Second, this was in 2005, when housing prices were starting to go
through the roof. We were already pushing the budget, so to add
the cost of guest units would have made the units less
affordable, and several families felt they would have to drop out
of the cost of guest units was added to the units.

Finally, no one felt that they would want to be responsible for
managing reservations and cleanup.

Also, I think the guests we have had have enjoyed staying with
one of our host families in a B&B setting. Of course, if those
families should become unwilling or unable to host guests, we
would feel the loss.

Kay