Re: Subject: Common meals - mandatory participation?
From: Pat Elliott (pat6me.com)
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 11:58:55 -0700 (PDT)
experiences, developed preferences, etc. cause their issues around being on a
cook team and eating with the community. I would never force anyone to eat with
the group against their will, although I believe they miss out on a lot (as has
been mentioned by others) by seldom, if ever, doing so. I am less inclined to
give them a full pass on cook team participation, which they have been
complying with so far, to one degree or another. We can accept varying levels
of participation, from only helping with clean-up or whatever. Our 92-year old
member who is a great cook, always needs extra help with clean-up and always
gets it. I am just resistant to going to a completely voluntary common meal
program.

Thank you, Randa from New Brighton, for support for mandatory participation on
at least cook teams. From the initial responses to my email, I was feeling like
I was being made out to be a tyrant for even wanting or suggesting such a
thing.

Someone suggested we had a failing social program and were trying to save it by
making participation mandatory. Our program is hardly failing! We have 3 to 4
meals a week (so 42 in six months would feel like close to failure for us) and
have since move-in. We have about 37 adults, though a lot travel or have
additional homes elsewhere so aren't here a lot. Attendance ranges from 8 or 10
to 24 to 30, less in the summer with more folks traveling. So, we are hardly
failing. And it's always been mandatory as to cook team participation. As
someone else mentioned, communities who actually have failing or failed
programs all seem to have had voluntary common meals programs.

Pat

pat6 [at] me.com