Policies on short-term rentals?
From: heimann (heimannTheWorld.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 20:42:02 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,
.
      One of our residents has been using a couple of spare bedroom to
rent out to short-term guests (less than a week).  This has resulted
in a stream of short-term guests, each staying for a matter of days
but in aggregate continuing for months on an ongoing basis.

      We have policies for short-term guests, but they were written with
friends or family visiting a community resident every once in a
while. We also have policies for long-term visitors and renters,
i.e., staying for 60 days or more, where we can get acquainted with
the person or household occupying the unit and incorporate them into
community life, and where we have a limit of 30% of the units that
can be so used.  However, we've discovered a "hole" in our policy
for a long-term flow of short-term visitors.  The flow is putting
some stress on various residents, and we're concerned that a second
or third or 15th household may do the same, with significant impact
on our community

      Have communities on this list had to deal with households running
"bed and breakfast" businesses in their units?  If so, what policies
do you have to handle or forbid them?

      Thanks for any information you may have.

Regards,
David Heimann
Jamaica Plain Cohousing
Jamaica Plain, MA