Minimum number of units
From: Rod Lambert (rodecovillage.ithaca.ny.us)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 09:10:45 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 12:02:41 -0700
From: John Goldberg <johngoldberg [at] hotmail.com>
To: Cohousing dot org Listserv <cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org>
Subject: [C-L]_ Minimum number of units

I would like to know the number of units of the smallest Cohousing
communities and people's opinions about the smallest number of units
necessary for a viable Cohousing community. Thank you

John Goldberg

John,
Here at EcoVillage at Ithaca NY, it was often said that wouldn't be nice to
have just 20 units - that it would be a more intimate number. Unfortunately
for affordability reasons (and a little politics) we had to go to 30 units
for the first 2 neighborhoods so that costs for the commonhouse, land and
infrastructure would be spread among more people. The fourth nbhd had to go
to 40 units (although some "weak" choices contributed to the decision in my
opinion).

Rod Lambert
(Principal designer of 2 neighborhoods and a Zen Center in NY State.)