Re: decision-making process
From: Richart Keller (richart.kellergmail.com)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:13:13 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Alan

Almost all of the roughly 120 cohousing communities use consensus.

Over the last few years there has been an aggressive effort, most
intensively in this region, to get communities to adopt or switch to
sociocracy.  A few have adopted it in part or as advocated; its application
in cohousing is still too recent to judge its impact.  Also, while there a
number of claims made about its promise,  there are no impartial studies of
its potential applicability or suitability for cohousing.

Consensus is a well-established process of deliberation.  There are a
number of variations as to the approach to decision-making in a consensus
context.

I am not aware of any evidence-based peer-reviewed studies of the nature,
issues, and needs of cohousing governance.

Shadowlake cohousing in Blacksburg VA is a good example of one
well-established community which, after careful study of various options,
has developed a modified consensus-based approach.  You might want to
contact them (they have a web site.)

You might also contact Diane Margolis, Director of the Cohousing Research
Network. She lives in Cambridge Cohousing; CRN has a web site which
probably has her contact information.

You might also contact Eris Weaver, an experienced professional facilitator
who lives in FrogSong Cohousing in Cotati, CA.

The most important thing is to make your choice after taking the time for
thoughtful deliberation as to what fits your community's values and goals.

Good luck.

Will be interested in what you all decide.

Rick Keller, AICP
Pioneer Valley Cohousing

President, Partnerships for Affordable Cohousing
Member, Steering Committee, Cohousing Network

Sent from my droid.