Re: CommonHouse Fridge?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 12:08:37 -0700 (PDT)
On Oct 5, 2014, at 10:30 PM, Ruth Hirsch <partner-in-healing [at]
earthlink.net> wrote:

> Have you residential fridges?

We have a residential fridge. One piece of advice -- don't get a bottom
freezer. No one wants to clean it. You have to sit on the floor, which is hard
because you also have to get up to dump water or get something or the other. Or
stand on your head. Equally undesirable. Freezer on the top or side-by-side.

And the ice-maker needs to be up where people can see it. Often (like all the
time) the ice bin is not pushed in far enough, ice accumulates behind it, it
can't be pushed back in, the freezer fills with ice, and eventually the door
won't close.

One of the difficulties that older people have is less ability to drown out
background noise. Every bit of sound avoidance or dampening is important.
Multi-generational communities mean paying as much attention to those over 60
and as under 16.

I once had an expensive refrigerator that was in storage for a year and never
worked again. The repairman said never turn refrigerators off for any period of
time. I don't know what "any period of time" is but it's something to find out
about.

There may be quieter commercial fridges since you bought your first one.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC