more on compost
From: audrey (audreygalisteo.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 05:38:11 -0700 (PDT)
at winslow cohousing, we have 30 households. 5 acres.

we have both a clivus for kitchen/food scraps, and an open bin system for
garden greens, and non-food compost.  one of our members is building an
additional new system,  because the clivus is overloaded.

you are welcome to come visit bainbridge island, wa and check it out.  make
sure and come when our compost master van calvez is around to tell you about
the latest system.

we started with a large, home built worm bin, but it went anaerobic in the
winter, and was really smelly and the neighbors complained.   we tried the
burying route, too much digging, and other systems attracted rats.  the clivus
(composting toilet without the toilet) works fairly well.

—audrey