What happens when kids who grew up in cohousing move to...
From: Bob Morrison (rhmorrisonaol.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 05:12:05 -0700 (PDT)
  the outside world? I thought of this when I read the call for presenters at
the upcoming national cohousing conference. Most cohousings are very different
from the outside world. Many people who grew up in cohousing, when they reach
age 18-22 they move out for any of several reasons, such as:
  They feel a need to asset their independence, beyond moving to another unit
in the same coho.
  They would like to take a job that is beyond commuting distance from their
coho.
  They would be willing to move to another unit in the same coho, but there
isn't any suitable space available.

  The chances are slim that young people in this situation would be able to
live in another coho. I would think that adjusting to living in a home in the
outside world would be a hard adjustment, on top of the adjustment that someone
who grew up in conventional housing would need to make. Is this true?

Bob Morrison
Mosaic Commons Cohousing
Berlin, MA