Re: Fwd: Automated External Defibrillator
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 05:30:31 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all —

We considered purchasing an AED.  A team looked at all the costs/benefits, etc.
 In the end, the issue was:  where would the AED live?  If in the CH, and the
heart attack occurred at the edge of the community would we be able to use the
device w/in the first 5 mins?  Would everyone in the community be “certified”
or “approved” to use the device?  How would we get everyone trained?  If a few
people are trained what happens when all of them happen to be away as is often
the case in the summer and at holidays when most people are gone?

Because we’re a very urban community, we felt the EMS folks could reach us w/in
the allotted 5 mins.  Of course, that was our thinking BEFORE it came to light
that our EMS system has some really BIG holes in it.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC