Re: Automated External Defibrillator
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 18:28:21 -0700 (PDT)
Ann Zabaldo's group was concerned about how to get the AED to a community
member "in time". In our case (Port Townsend WA, RoseWind Cohousing) the
intended use is in the Common House. If it could be of use in a neighboring
home, or anywhere on the site, so much the better. But we have many older
members, and numerous events and gatherings in our Common House with 20-60
people. So we're preparing mainly for a possible heart failure there. The
machine --- about the size of a kid's lunch box -- is in a wall mounted case in
the pantry off our kitchen, with a sign directing to it, said sign being in the
main room of the common house, by the fire extinguisher and emergency exit. I'm
glad it's there. As for having trained people on hand when you want to use it,
it is amazingly self explanatory, with clear recorded voice commands, graphics
showing where to attach the chest pads, etc. It will not shock a heart that
does not need it. Phone 911, get the person's shirt off and open the AED box
and do what you're told to do....

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing
www.rosewind.org