Micro housing
From: Grace Kim (graceschemataworkshop.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 05:27:53 -0700 (PDT)
Elaine -
There are lots of micro housing* projects in Seattle- to the point single
family NIMBYs are calling for moratorium. While they provide "affordable"
housing, they are quite lucrative for the developers yielding almost twice the
rent on a cost/sf than conventional units.

Having said that, they are providing a much need price point for housing that
is safe, clean, and affordable in a new construction project - and in some
cases creating community.

I serve on the Seattle Planning Commission and we've studied them to make some
policy recommendations to City Council and City planning staff. I'd be glad to
share some examples and participate in a webinar.

* micros are legally permitted as 8 or more unrelated people living in a
"unit"- but they essentially act as 75-200 sf studios

grace h. kim
schemata workshop
(sent via mobile messaging)