Re: rentals
From: Tom Smyth (tomsassafras.coop)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 05:04:05 -0700 (PDT)
Congratulations! I hope the spring comes quickly :)

I am a big proponent of rentals because they make the community more
accessible to a greater range of socioeconomic classes.

At Touchstone, 5 units are still owned by the developer (due to 2008
crisis) and are all presently rented, plus there are two or three other
rentals. I'm not sure about credit checks as that is decided by the
landlord.

The renters are not entitled to vote at meetings but are encouraged to
participate and take work hours. Most of them do and they very much "feel"
like members. Personally I think I would be in favour of introducing voting
rights after a certain time in the community as I think ownership is not
the most important determinant of commitment.

Tom

On 21 October 2014 17:18, Rosemary Rasmussen <rasmussenr45 [at] gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi folks.  We are ready to begin building Rocky Corner Cohousing in
> Connecticut in the spring.  Any information or advice about rentals? Who
> owns your rentals?  Are the tenants members?  Do you do credit checks, ask
> for deposits? We want to have a few rentals available.
> thanks
> Ro Rasmussen from Rocky Corner

Tom Smyth

Worker-Owner, Sassafras Tech Collective
Specializing in innovative, usable tech for social change
sassafras.coop *·* @sassafrastech

Resident, Touchstone Cohousing
touchstonecohousing.org

  • Rentals Scott Cowley, February 10 1998
    • Rentals Robert Heinich, February 10 1998
    • Re: rentals Lynn Nadeau, April 27 2001
    • rentals Rosemary Rasmussen, October 21 2014
      • Re: rentals Tom Smyth, October 22 2014