Re: Alternative financing
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:13:22 -0700 (PDT)
I am guessing that tenancy is taken as a rough proxy for things that might
actually, legitimately concern a lender / investor:  poor maintenance, no
reserves, transiency, owner indifference, anonymity and alienation of the
occupants, and so on.  But if these were my concerns as a lender, and I
happened to have eyes and a brain, and I actually saw what was going in
cohousing communities, then I would be falling all over myself to offer low
cost loans to my best borrowers: cohousing households.

Maybe the problem here is lack of eyes and brains.  In Cambridge MA, two-thirds
of our housing units are renter-occupied, and our City remains safe and
well-managed; even the public schools are credible.  Maybe what cohousing needs
most is not fewer tenants but better bankers.

RPD