Re: Common Amenities Costs
From: Kathy Tymoczko (kathy.tymoczkogmail.com)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:45:41 -0700 (PDT)
I wasn't here when Daybreak was built, and have no idea of the costs of the
various amenities in our common space.  Our architect was Grace Kim at
Schemata Workshop in Seattle, and she might be able to give you some idea
of things like square feet and costs.  Planning started maybe around 2005
and construction I think in 2007.  Move-in started in October 2009.

Our Common House is pretty large, I think.  There's some information here
<http://www.daybreakcohousing.org/SiteandDesign.html> with floor plans on
the right if you scroll down.  We have a large common room (big enough to
seat 50-60 people for meals), restaurant-quality kitchen with double-wide
fridge, freezer, double-oven 12-burner stove (4 of the burners are a
flat-top grill), living room area, family room, kids room, 2 bathrooms.
There are two guest rooms with shared bath, meditation/yoga room, arts and
crafts room in the other building.  The basement has a large bike storage
room, workshop, laundry (3 commercial washers and 2 dryers plus lines and
racks for air-drying), exercise room, some closets, and a storage area with
a storage space for each unit.  We also have a rooftop deck with a
currently decommissioned hot tub (because the county declared us to be out
of compliance with state ordinance).  We're urban, with 30 units in four 2-
and 3-story buildings, completely accessible (we have an elevator), built
around small lawn, garden space and outdoor patio.

I'm really pretty happy with the way things were built.  I live on the
third floor where there are not covered walkways, so I get rained on going
from my door to the elevator or down the stairs to the Common House.  There
are no electrical outlets outside (would be handy when using power tools
during workdays).  We're adding an automatic door opener to the Common
House for accessibility reasons.  I wish we had some outdoor storage space
for each unit for things like propane camp stoves or grills (things we
don't want in the indoor storage space) so they didn't end up in the garden
shed.  We pretty much use all the spaces we have, and some folks are very
sad that we can't currently use the hot tub (probably will cost around $30K
to make it legal).