Handling Maintenance
From: Norman Gauss (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 23:25:17 -0700 (PDT)
I am searching for answers to some thorny maintenance problems we are
experiencing at Oak Creek Commons Cohousing in Paso Robles, CA.  Perhaps I
can learn how other communities handle keeping their places from falling
apart.

We are ten years old, and original equipment is starting to break down.  In
addition, we have experienced major failures of underslab copper pipes
requiring repiping of several units.  At one time, we had a robust
Facilities Committee, but gradually people moved away or became less
vigorous over time .  At the moment we are operating with only one 79-year
old full time member (myself) with the other technically oriented members
available only occasionally for small tasks because of their day jobs or
people serving in a non-technical clerical capacity (secretary).  We have
lots of committees here at OCC, but the least favorite is Facilities.  Our
complex consists of 13 buildings on 4 acres of landscaping.  We are losing
ground in the maintenance effort.

Do other cohousing communities have similar problems?  Do others hire
professional managers?  We are also looking for a handyman we can keep on
retainer.  Do any cohousing communities hire handymen with monthly retainer
fees or are successful in having professional management companies perform
many of the tasks that we are not doing?

Our Board will be looking into these alternatives shortly, and it would be
helpful to know what other communities are doing.

Norm Gauss
Oak Creek Commons Cohousing
Paso Robles, CA  93446
805-237-0102