Re: Handling Maintenance
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 08:45:39 -0800 (PST)
On Nov 3, 2014, at 9:08 AM, R Philip Dowds <rpdowds [at] comcast.net> wrote:

> But it’s also a matter of prioritization. A typical household or family might
> be comfortable with paying 20%, 30%, or (under duress, perhaps) 40% of its
> annual income on housing.  The mainstream household will spend $X to maximize
> privatized space: the single family house and yard.  A similar cohousing
> household will spend a similar $X, but trade off privatized space for some
> shared amenities.  It’s a different lifestyle choice, not a different budget.

I have a friend with five children who wanted to buy a house large enough for
them to all have their own room when she converted the attic. It would have
required her to spend much more than 50% of her budget on house payments. The
mortgage broker said, "But you wouldn't have enough money to do anything else!"

She said, "What else is there?"

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines