Water Usage
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 06:57:57 -0800 (PST)
Okay, I have the water usage in gallons for Takoma Village. This is for about
90 people in 43 units. That's an average people number. Roommates move in and
out and are not always counted. We have large events in the CH with guests.
Counted we have ~67 adults and ~21 children. We also had the interior of the CH
painted during this time with lots of brush washing, etc.

People sometimes believe that children should be counted differently but in the
2-3 year period we saw our water usage numbers almost double our population had
also almost doubled. New babies and adopted children were a third of that
increase.

2014

Month---Usage Gal---Daily Avg Gal---Days

Dec---99,259.60---3,201.92---31
Jan---102,476.00---3,305.68     ---31
Feb---89,161.60---3,184.34---28
Mar---94,547.20---3,049.91---31
Apr---85,720.80---2,857.36---30
May---123,494.80---3,983.70---31
Jun---92,976.40---3,099.21---30
Jul---102,999.60---3,322.57---31
Aug---99,110.00---3,197.10---31
Sep---102,027.20---3,400.91---30
Oct---108,983.60---3,515.60---31
Nov---11,594.00---386.47---30------Partial?

I didn't drag out my calculator but the average appears to be 3,300 gallons a
day. That is ~37 gallons per person per day? I'm sure some one will check those
figures.

The USGS Water Science School gives the average use per person at 80-100
gallons. I didn't look to see how those figures are calculated -- includes use
at home and work? Total population, total use?

http://water.usgs.gov/edu/qa-home-percapita.html

The Takoma Village figures obviously are just for home use, although many of
our adults work at home. And all except three children are at daycare or school
during the day. (How's that for changing demographics?)

Perhaps others can dig up their gallons?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC