Re: Retrofit Cohousing Panel for National Conference in NC
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 05:55:26 -0800 (PST)
The important part about the cohousing development process is that a core group
of founders convenes, and develops strong interpersonal bonds and process
skills, while making the design choices and solving the development problems.
Secondarily, early involvement of founders helps ensure that the design outcome
is tailored to the aspirations and priorities of that specific group.

So:  What about renovation versus new construction, or early engagement with
architects, contractors and developers (and bankers, and building inspectors,
and …) whose interests are not identical with those of the intended occupants?
My answer would be: Finding a suitable site and getting it developed, or
re-developed, is very hard work — and inevitably involves the participation or
even constraints of parties who have no intention of living in the community
once it’s built.  Whether you like it or not, your project will be influenced,
and possibly even compromised, by “outsiders”.  That’s just the nature of
building things.

I can see no fatal flaw in co-developing with an professional — although you
may want to have access to some independent experts advising you on design
alternatives, construction costs, and the like.  I am aware of one or two cohos
that were designed and built by a developer who was doing the project mostly on
spec, hoping that a communitarian group would show up later … but I’m not
convinced this actually creates cohousing.  You can lead a horse to the common
house, but you can’t make him consense.

RPD