Re: Bylaws, Policies & Agreements
From: Ken Winter (kensunward.org)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 16:30:35 -0800 (PST)
What we have that I think is in the spirit of what you call "policies" is
empowered committees.  Each committee has a charter (established in the
Bylaws or, more often, the Book of Agreements).  Each charter empowers that
committee to take specified actions and decisions on its own, without
requiring the approval of the community.  We also have established conflict
resolution processes, whereby people who think a committee has overstepped
its empowerment or made a bad decision can appeal the committee's action.
When a conflict can't be settled by communication, mediation, and
negotiation, the ultimate court of appeal is the whole community - but most
issues are resolved before they get that far.

That's what we do - theoretically.  The reality is, of course, messier than
that. But to a considerable (and increasing) extent, as we learn from our
messy experience and get better at it, the model does work.

~ Ken, from Sunward Cohousing