Re: A Glimps of Cohousing in 2060
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 08:42:40 -0800 (PST)
On Dec 13, 2014, at 12:30 PM, Zev Paiss <Zev [at] abrahampaiss.com> wrote:

> Have you ever wondered what cohousing will be like in say 2060?

I think it will look like converted condos and apartment buildings, and
neighborhoods with various features of cohousing. That has already started with
many amenities in new condominiums. In addition to exercise rooms, shared
office space, and party rooms, they are including things like music practice
rooms, yoga and floor exercise rooms, conference rooms, theater-like rooms with
very large screens, etc. Luxury condos have much more like smoking rooms,
temperature controlled wine lockers, dog playgrounds, billiard rooms, etc.

With all these spaces, interaction increases and a cohousing like atmosphere
will develop.

I found that in condos where I lived there was a culture like cohousing on each
floor. I did know my neighbors and some got together regularly to watch TV or
play cards. I think this is probably more common in apartments with long term
residents, with singles, and with interior hallways.

One apartment building I visited had a community room just outside the
elevator. In addition to comfortable furniture, residents had various group
activities set up on different floors-- one had a perpetual card table with
puzzles. It also had a large room used for potlucks, bingo, lectures, dances,
etc. And this was at least 20 years ago.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC