Re: A Glimps of Cohousing in 2060
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:11:02 -0800 (PST)
The scale and mix of shared amenities may differ considerably from one coho to
the next.  Consensus decision-making may be a fad whose time will come and go.
The demographic profile morphs around, whether we want it to, or not.  But I
would imagine that the inescapable characteristics of a viable, autonomous coho
will include:
Number of Households:  For a whole bunch of reasons, size matters.  We’re
pretty sure that three households is too small to be a coho, and three hundred
is too large.  I am thinking 25 to 40 households is a good target.  Which
relates to …
Easy Walking Distance:  The entire coho needs to be within easy walking
distance of the commons, and of itself.  Most people would agree that a couple
of minutes is an “easy” walk; hardly anyone would live with a 20 or 30 minute
walk.  Someplace between these extremes is a time and distance that works.  And
that, like number of households will set the boundaries of the community.

RPD