Re: Guest room fees
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:06:30 -0800 (PST)
On Dec 18, 2014, at 5:48 PM, Eris Weaver <eris [at] erisweaver.info> wrote:

> I confess I do not understand the reasoning of those of you who DO charge.
> The amount most cohos charge seems to be low, does it really offset costs?
> Or is it mostly symbolic?

I resisted this for years. Why charge for the guest rooms and not for the
laundry, workshop, use of the computer, etc?

One argument people gave is that the guest rooms are used exclusively for 10
days at a time. The other resources are not.

I think the tipping point was when the guest room pod measured the use. One
household used the guest room 40 days a year, many not at all, and others less
than 7.

A third reason is the number of people who stay who are not visiting friends
who live here. Usually they are cohousing members vacationing or in town for
business (on expense accounts). A member has to host them and ensure that the
rooms are clean and linens washed with they leave. They want the community to
benefit from their work.

I still tend to agree with Eris, but would prefer a system where each unit has
5 days free and pays for additional days. We still have very wide variations in
days of use.

Our finance people have also resisted having these fund earmarked for the guest
room -- refurbishing, cleaning, etc. I think 50% for the general operating
budget and 50% for the guest room operations. Perhaps 75%/25%. Our rooms have
just received a donation of $1,800 so that will pay for some large purchases.

We need slat beds so we have storage under them and smaller places to hang
clothes. The rooms don't have closets and the donated wardrobes are much too
large for the rooms.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines