Re: Guest room fees
From: Eris Weaver (eriserisweaver.info)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:56:05 -0800 (PST)
Ann wrote:

Currently, the TVC guest rooms offer a revenue stream that’s fairly
important for us — about $3k per year.
<snip>
BTW — it’s not the TAXES that are the issue.   Taxes are GREAT!
(We’re providing a service and bringing in some much needed revenue!)
Rather, it’s falling under the hotel and hospitality regulations which
are labyrinthian in DC.  THAT is terrifying …  :-)

Which brings up a good question...are those communities that charge for guest rooms claiming that income when you do your taxes? Are you adhering to your municipality's rules about bed taxes, etc? It's not a very big leap from "it's our shared guest room" to "we're running an illegal inn." How do you handle that?

(Tourism is a big part of our local economy - we are having BIG kerfuffles over things like airbnb)

ERis WEaver
FrogSong