Re: Guest room fees
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:11:01 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 18, 2014, at 7:56 PM, Eris Weaver <eris [at] erisweaver.info> wrote:

> Which brings up a good question...are those communities that charge for guest
> rooms claiming that income when you do your taxes? Are you adhering to your
> municipality's rules about bed taxes, etc? It's not a very big leap from
> "it's our shared guest room" to "we're running an illegal inn." How do you
> handle that?
>
> (Tourism is a big part of our local economy - we are having BIG kerfuffles
> over things like airbnb)

Not a lawyer … I don’t know the answer to these questions specifically.  These
would be municipal regulations.

We have maintained — and so far have been ok w/ "the powers that be” — with
having this “fee” be a donation.  Some people do not ever pay.  Some people
make an additional contribution.

AirBnB is hot in DC.   I went to a presentation on starting an Air BnB in your
home in DC.  Lots of nice, complex, ornery DC regulations for those who venture
into this world.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing