Re: Guest room fees
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:48:02 -0800 (PST)
On Dec 18, 2014, at 7:39 PM, Ann Zabaldo <zabaldo [at] earthlink.net> wrote:

>> Our monthly dues range from about $250 to $350 depending upon the size of
>> the unit and whether you have a carport.

> Your HoA dues are comparable to ours.  But, unlike Frog Song, most cohousing
> communities don’t have any other outside source of revenue besides HoA dues
> w/ the exception of very minor contribution.

Ann, our fees are much higher than these. I pay ~ $374 for a two bedroom so the
three and fours are paying significantly more. Even the one bedrooms wouldn't
be as little as $250. And they went up this year by ~8% I think, There were
various versions of the budget. I forget which one passed.

> I believe we just fixed the guest room heating and cooling system for a mere
> $10,000K+.

That also included changing the HVAC closet to open on the hallway so one of
the guest rooms is quieter. But Ann is right. This expense was only for the
guest rooms. It has its own HVAC.

The figure I haven't been able to calculate is how much the CH costs us per
square foot. We pay for gas and water for the units so it can't be separated
out. It would have to include Reserves as well as utilities, inspections, etc.

> BTW — it’s not the TAXES that are the issue.   Taxes are GREAT!  (We’re
> providing a service and bringing in some much needed revenue!)  Rather, it’s
> falling under the hotel and hospitality regulations which are labyrinthian in
> DC.  THAT is terrifying …  :-)

One issue here is that localities vary. In some places the "hotel" regulations
don't click in until you have above a certain number of rooms. Other zoning
laws ban B&Bs all together.

Paying taxes is a good thing. It is never more than your income.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC