AirBnB and B&Bs [was: guest room fees
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 11:08:42 -0800 (PST)
On Dec 19, 2014, at 10:19 AM, John Sechrest <sechrest [at] gmail.com> wrote:

> It has caused me to start wondering about the process and consequences of
> Cohousing-L communities offering units via airbnb.

At Takoma Village we have assumed that rentals were to be for an extended
period of time if the owner was not in residence. Recently a new member wanted
to advertise her unit for rent for a month or for 4 one week periods. It was
the first time someone had done this though people have often had friends
occupying their unit when they were gone or traded a month with the program in
which people do that (forgot the name).

Short stays without the host in residence causes a problem because it makes
work for the neighbors. A person is planted who knows nothing and is walking
around in the CH and corridors.

Even with the host in residence, it raises security issues and public image
issues to have rooms advertised. A cohousing community is a community in which
everyone knows each other and relates to each other. It has to be at least a
semi-closed circle in order to develop and maintain intimacy. While some people
thrive on new people around all the time, others do not and it dilutes the
sense of community. A constant stream of unknown people changes the air.

The Twin Oaks community has apprenticeship programs and regular work
residencies for non-residents to learn about the community. In their literature
they have a sentence that says something like don't expect residents to speak
to you. They need their own lives. Ask your guide if you need information.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC